Skip to main content

Like sands through the hour glass so are the days of cleaning our rooms...

The other day my kids and I were shopping at Target when my oldest picked up an hour glass and then all 3 of them started asking if they could have it. My first response was, "What do we need that for?" But, then my mind began to ponder, "Hmmm... Well, it is pretty cool...What could we use it for? Hmmm." Suddenly flashbacks of years of fighting with them to clean their rooms... crying, fighting, reading books, searching for solutions, setting boundaries, repeating boundaries, more crying, more fighting, more books, and on and on with only one constant... messy rooms. 

Before I realized it, my mouth was saying, "Oh good, we have a timer now for you guys to clean your rooms. If you aren't done by the time the sand runs out then whatever is left on the floor gets packed away." And to my surprise, they all cheered, "Okay! Yay!"

"What?!?!?! Did they just yell yay???" Yep, that's what I heard so we put it in the buggy and moved on. When I got home, my husband questioned my purchase. What did we need that for he wanted to know so I explained and gave the kids more guidelines. 




1. I would not argue or yell, I would simply tell them that it was time to clean and flip the hour-glass... Which really turned out to be a ten minute glass so it gets flipped once, if they are truly putting in effort and working to the best of their ability I will flip it again. I have never had to flip it more than twice. 20 minutes!!! What used to waste hours of my days/weeks with fighting and crying now takes 20 minutes at the most! 

2. Whatever was still on the floor when it ran out would be taken and placed in a bin. 

3. If they keep their room clean for the week then they can get a toy back from the bin at the end of the week (based on the idea taught in "The Parable of the Talents"... if they do well with what they have they will be given more and if they don't then they lose what they have). Now, of course they don't have to keep it spotless and never play; but, they are expected to clean up their big messes when they are done playing and thoroughly clean up all the little stuff that gets misplaced here and there once a week (when the hour glass flips). 



That night the kids were begging me to use the hour glass! Which means they were actually begging me to clean their rooms! So, I flipped it over and they raced around picking things up and even helping each other clean! No fighting! No crying! What?!?!?! 

I thought it was a fluke thing, you know excitement over the new cool purchase. Yet, the next room cleaning experience went pretty much the same. Except, my youngest stopped in the middle to say, "Thank you Mommy!" My son looked at her and asked, "For what?" 

Yes, "For what?" I was wondering too. 

"For letting us clean our rooms and letting us keep our toys," she continued. 

"What?!?!?" The very thing they felt entitled to before now because a blessing! The bad mommy who was making them clean their room had now become a cool mommy that was letting them clean their rooms! All because of a simple $5.00 purchase!!! 

Now, I know you're tempted to think it was still new; however, every experience since the purchase has been about the same. In fact, just this evening I told them to clean their rooms but forgot to flip the hour glass. They were fighting and moping and sitting around on their butts not even moving. So, I told them again and they began crying. I didn't even realize it until my youngest asked, "Mommy, are you going to flip the hour glass?" that I had forgotten the routine! (I don't know how but call it temporary mommy amnesia... yes, we all suffer from it at times.) So, I replied, "Yes, I am" and flipped it. I'd never seen the 3 of them run so quickly and 10 minutes later they were done! 

I know I said before that purchasing our van was the #bestpurchaseever; but, this hour glass definitely comes in a close second place!  





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why talking to a friend may be the worst thing you can do...

Here is why talking to a friend about a problem with another person doesn't work... If my vision of what is taking place is distorted then her vision is also going to be distorted. If I call her up and share the low lights, the things that upset me, the things that hurt me, how I feel about them and see them, and don't share the other person's perspective or take their side or account into consideration then she is going to give me a biased report back. And, it is going to be exactly what I want to hear. (This is even further compounded when a person strategically leaves out any information that makes their self look bad.) How do I know that? How can I say that? Because I am feeding her the information that I want her to have. And, she already knows my past, my struggles, my weaknesses and fears; which are also what I am now talking to her about and reminding her of. So, her judgment is going to be based off of that and her desire to protect me. It honestly got to the

Is being a hypocrite really such a bad thing?

Often, when someone learns of my blog, they question the title. They seem to think they need to educate me on what "hypocrite" means or inform me that it's not a good word to have beside the word "Christian", as if I don't already know this. However, what I also understand is the truth that so many Christians like to pretend doesn't exist.  A survey in the book "unChristian" by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons reveals that 85% of young non-Christians believe that present-day Christianity is hypocritical. And, even more amazing is the fact that 47% of young churchgoers agreed! (myself included) We are hypocrites! Or at least that is how we appear as a whole to those around us who don't understand the gospel. I mean think about it... if you didn't truly understand what Jesus did on the cross then how could you understand someone who is imperfect stating that sin is sin. Really, let it sink in! I'm going to re-word it as many possibl

I guess you could say I'm a little salty

It's been a while since I've written. It's also been a while since I've heard from God. I'm not sure if that's because He quit talking to me or I was just too hurt to listen. But last night, I found myself begging. But this time was different, I wasn't begging for my kids back or the pain to stop or the truth to be revealed... I was simply begging for God. Begging for what He and I used to have. Begging for time alone with him.  Begging to hear Him. Begging for the relationship I had with Him before my whole life fell apart. Begging for Him to hear me. Begging for Him to care. Begging for Him to show me the way out. I fell asleep begging... And, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about Lot and his wife after Sodom and Gomorrah burnt. I know right?!?! I mean who does that? Of all the things to be thinking about in this day and age, I'm thinking about Sodom and Gomorrah????? No wonder why people call me crazy! I could see if I had just had a